History of the Trust
The Trust and Staff are absolutely committed to providing a friendly, safe family environment that promotes the values of friendship, opportunity and personal growth.
Everyone is a valued member, respected and encouraged to be the very best they can be.
Matea Trust is a registered charitable trust (CC11332) which was set up in 1992 to provide a residential service and support for people with intellectual disabilities who are physically, mentally and socially able to integrate into the existing family environment provided by Matea.
The Trust was established by two local farmers … & … who identified a need and donated time, land, buildings and great effort to create Matea – Translated from the Maori language it means… ‘To Be Needed’ Everyone deserves to feel needed!
First erected by the Royal New Zealand Navy in 1942 at the Admiralty Steps on the Auckland Waterfront. This site is a few hundred metres to the east of the ferry terminal and was the Navy’s city base, an outpost of its main activities at Devonport. It was used as the landing station when the Navy came to town, in the days before the Harbour Bridge had been built and there was no other way of crossing the harbour.
Those that missed the last boat had to spend an uncomfortable night on the buildings small wooden benches until the next morning! It was in 2002 that the building was no longer required for that purpose and a Trustee negotiated with the Navy who agreed to sell it to Matea Trust for a gold coin. It is currently used as the Vocational Lunch Room and hang out during periods of rain. It has been nicknamed the Prairie House by the guys a while back due to a TV series and it has stuck ever since.